Wednesday, August 13, 2008

FBI Agent in the Making

I'm pretty sure the mob is somewhere around here.

I can see how that might not be believable. Del Ray is pretty much the cutest and safest neighborhood in Northern Virginia (NoVa, to those in the know.)

But that's exactly my point, you know? Wouldn't you want to be in a clean, safe neighborhood if you were a mobster? You would, because who would look for you there?

I would.

And I do. It's one of my all-time favorite games. Which one of these shops could be a mob front? Is it the big green massage parlor with no windows on the side walls? It's right next to another massage parlor, and neither one seems to struggle for business. Is it the psychadelic clothes store that I've never seen open? Is it the free health clinic that appears through the front window to be nothing more than a desk, a file cabinet, and a folding chair.

As I type, I become less convinced that I live near the mob... and less convinced that my neighborhood is clean and safe.

But I like it anyway. And if I turn up at the bottom of the Potomac with cement shoes on, at least you'll know why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! So glad to see your new blog and hear (see) your voice (typing) again :-)

So...what kind of research do you have to do to learn if the mob is around?